Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I'm a Batman fight sound in Japanese!

I just learned today that I'm a Batman fight sound in Japanese. You know, those words that flashed on the screen in the campy 70's Batman TV show like Zap! Bonk! Bam!

I was hanging out at a highway rest stop after some spirited riding last night when I came across a poster warning something about fender benders. It showed two cars crashing into each other with the word Don! flashed in between them just like in the TV show. I'm not entirely sure what the poster was about, but I'm going to guess it was something like "Watch out for other cars! it sucks to hit them!".



Don is actually a pretty good name in Japanese for a couple of reasons. It's the onomatopoeic sound of drums (e.q. don doko don), and apparently fender benders. It's also a word that Japanese people can more or less pronounce, since they have it in their language. It's part of donburi, which is a very common word that means bowl of rice. As in tempura donburi, or tendon for short. All of which makes it great fun to spell my name in Japanese as rice bowl (丼).

Here's a japanese sound effects definition page for more details.

don = BIG impact
don = sometimes added to a scene for dramatic effect,to show that something astonishing or important has happened
dondon = continuous action

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home