Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Short Legs

Yesterday I ate lunch at a tiny Chinese style restaurant near where I live. It was one of those places with just a kitchen and a bar/counter with space for about 10 people. They have a little riser box underneath the counter to rest your feet on, and, would you believe it, the space between the box and the counter was so small I couldn't even get my legs in! I could kind of do it if I angled my legs to the side, put them in, and then twisted them upright, but that was with my heels sticking out and feeling like there was a piano on my thighs. I had to push my stool back so that I was sticking out into what little space there was behind me and bend forward to reach the counter. And I'm only 5'10"!

Question for the day: There are a lot of Chinese restaurants in Japan run by Japanese people, yet you don't really find Chinese restaurants in America (okay, in California) run by white people. Why is that?

3 Comments:

Blogger California Kayaker Magazine said...

I think this has to do with immigration. Japan currently has about 1.5% of its population as immigrants, where America is closer to 10% (and I am not sure if America's numbers count illegal immigrants, or immigrants who became citizens). Many more native people available to open restaurants and bars in America than in Japan.

I was surprised to see a white guy as a server (not chef - he was Japanese) at Sakana, a sushi bar down near Union Square. But he did speak passable Japanese.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Japan is still a very racist society w/very strict immigration laws. Third generation Korean-Japanese are still not allowed Japanese citizenship. Odd that Japanese-Americans, even after WWII persecution, are among the most assimilated people in America!

10:18 AM  
Blogger バリバリスローライフ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home